Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Banana Pineapple Chocolate Comfort Cake

Originally I found this recipe in the Rockland Journal News.  It's a heavy, forgiving cake, more like a quick bread.  The recipe is enough for a generous tube pan cake + a loaf pan or the mini-bundt pans I just purchased.  I sent this to you at Wesleyan, Nomzi - and I think you and your friends dubbed it as Comfort Cake, more or less. Since this is a parve cake, I often made it for Rosh Hashanah.
It's worth baking this cake just to smell the aroma!

Preheat oven to 325
2013 Note: this year the oven was broken.  I baked an 8" tube pan, half the recipe, for 48 minutes in the convection oven at 325

3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs [these are optional! I accidentally left them out and the cake is dense but flavorful]
1 c. oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. ripe diced bananas, mushed (about 4 medium)
8 oz. can crushed pineapple and juice

4 oz mini-chocolate chips (or regular size is OK, too)
  • Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl or standing mixer.  
  • Add undrained pineapple, oil, vanilla, eggs, mashed bananas, and chocolate chips. 
  • Pour batter into a sprayed tube pan until it's about 2/3 full, and then the remainder into a loaf pan.
  • Bake ~ one hour.
  • Test with toothpick to see if cake is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment