Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cranberry Relish, from Sharon Strassfeld + Plain Old Cranberry Sauce

This is a recipe I've long loved, passed along by Sharon when I enjoyed it at her house on 101st street when we were neighbors.  I think of it as cranberry charoset.
It's not so much a recipe as a series of steps.

1 bag fresh cranberries
1 orange
walnuts (1/2 c?  I've never measured)
1/2 c. sugar or more, for less tartness

Slice the orange into small pieces and put half of it, along with about half the cranberries and walnuts into a food processor.  If you have a full size food processor, you can put it all in at once, until it's ground.

That's it!

You can freeze the cranberries - this year I threw a bag in and when I hadn't used it by March, I saved it for Passover, when we usually serve turkey.  It's such a gorgeous color.


Plain old cranberry sauce is so easy, no need to buy the canned. Though you need to make it ahead of time.
1 bag cranberries = 2 cups
1 c. water (you can do part OJ)
1 c. sugar
optional: ginger, cinammon, orange rind

Put everything in a 2 quart sauce pan (or 1.5 if you have one) and boil. Lower the heat and cook about 10 minutes until the berries have popped.

Cool. As it cools, it thickens.


No comments:

Post a Comment