Search This Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Salmon Cakes, Salmon Croquettes, Salmon Patties

All the same, really, but croquettes sound more appealing.  My mother made these a few times a year and I always loved them, so they are comfort food for me.  David asked that they be eliminated from our shared cuisine, but when he's out of town, I make these for myself, with rice pilaf. They never tasted like Mom's, but tonight I nailed it, so here's her recipe, with my modifications in [brackets] - her Mishnah, my Gemara.

1 can salmon (1 lb), or 2 small cans
1 egg
1 T. catsup [+ a t. mayo]
bread crumbs to bind [about 2 to 3 T]
dried onion [one half small onion, minced, plus a half stalk celery, minced fine. If you have garden herbs, some parsley would be great.]
Option (tasted this at Yosemite at The Big Trees) a t. or so of capers
salt, pepper
flour for dipping and frying
lemon, for garnish [if you're being fancy!]

1. Mix all the ingredients.  A potato masher works well. The salmon skin and bones are very nutritious and break up easily into the mixture.  The mixture should be moist but a little loose.  Don't go too heavy on the  bread crumbs or it makes it too dense.
2. Chill a half hour or more.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet.
4. Put a small heap of flour on a small plate.  Shape the mixture into flat patties and dip each side in the flour and then set it in the hot oil.
5. Cook until they're set on the first side - the flour gives the croquette a smooth, browned surface.  That's what I had been missing over the years!  Turn over and cook a few more minutes on side 2.  Makes about 6 or 7, as you see.

These would be good with a sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment